Friday, January 21, 2011

There are a

number of things that I could be doing right now. For example, I could be reading the chapter in chemistry and working on the challenge problems. Or I could be going over those two papers the professor in my new lab gave me to read. Or I could be trying to write poetry. Or I could be reading that chapter in psych.

But let's be realistic. We all know this blog was created and will be used mainly as a procrastination tool. So procrastinate I shall.

I thought today I'd blog about neuroscience.


The dentate gyrus of the brain as seen via fluorescent microscopy and the "Brainbow" technique.


A lot of people seem to think that I am only going into neuroscience, because it is the more proper thing to do. They also think that I am more apathetic towards it than anything else, but neither of those are actually true. It's true that  the main reason I have chosen neuroscience as my "main major" is that I think it is more practical, and it's true that I never originally sought out neuroscience (I just kind of ended up there through convenience), but I am actively engaging in the pursuit of neuroscience now, because I really, truly want to.

Why? Because the brain is the beginning. Because I get excited (no pun intended) at the idea of tiny electrical impulses traveling through dendrites and axons and terminal buttons and building and building into who we are. Because, assuming monism for the purposes of now, the source of the answers to all of life's questions of why and how and who are locked up in an organ that is, more than anything else, fat, and that is incredible. Because neuroscience is, at its core, a philosophical pursuit. Because that, all of that, is art, and it is beautiful.

I want to know. I want to understand. And that's why I'm in neuroscience.

No comments:

Post a Comment